Comforting Same-Sex Struggle #5

 Okay, this blog is going to be more real than I ever expected it to be. Same-sex attraction is a tough thing for many people. I remember when I was younger, I was told I was gay because I did not want to engage in sexual activity with boys when I was 13. Did I think I was gay, no. I simply did not want to do something I was uncomfortable with. Comments from friends and family came often. Then I started to think what if I am gay? I remember going to my mom and she told me it was just a phase. Now, it did not stop my thoughts from wandering. Long story short, I did things I was not proud of.

Fast forward I’m 17 and want to be a part of this gospel. I want true happiness. I know I am going to marry a man, and that I can be happy. (I am attracted to men.) I vowed to myself and God that I would never do anything to break that promise/trust, and I haven’t. Everything in preparation for this week’s post has a lot of truth. I was abused repeatedly as a kid. By people, I thought I could trust. So, can someone struggling to be attracted to the same sex change their thought process?

Enough about me, in today's diverse society, it is essential to foster an environment of compassion and understanding for people who struggle with same-sex attraction. Coming to terms with one's sexual orientation can be complex. Providing comfort to individuals dealing with same-sex attraction involves acknowledging the validity of their feelings and experiences, promoting openness, and fostering a supportive community.

For many people who experience same-sex attraction, the initial struggle often stems from feelings of confusion and isolation. The realization that their feelings differ from what society considers "normal" may lead to a sense of self-doubt and fear of judgment from peers and family. This was the opposite for me. When you’re at the stage of self-discovery, offering comfort and reassurance can make a difference.

Creating a safe and open space is important in supporting those with same-sex attraction. Often there are barriers that hinder open conversations about sexual orientation. Offering professional counseling services can assist individuals who struggle with their same-sex attraction. These professionals can help people navigate the complexities of their identity. Empowering them to embrace their authentic selves and build self-acceptance.

Support from friends and family can significantly impact an individual's journey toward self-acceptance and comfort. Loved ones must be encouraged to approach the topic with an open heart and mind, showing unconditional love and support. Empathy and active listening are key in ensuring that individuals feel valued and respected.

Media and popular culture also play a crucial role in shaping societal attitudes toward same-sex attraction. Nowadays it’s popular to be gay. It makes you seem different and “unique”. When most times the media is putting a false narrative for everyone to follow. At the same time, I can see the impact on people who really do struggle with same-sex attraction.

Providing comfort for people who struggle with same-sex attraction requires a collective effort from educators, friends, family, and society. Understanding that sexual orientation is a natural aspect of human diversity and acknowledging the challenges these individuals face is the first step toward creating a supportive and inclusive environment. By fostering openness, promoting empathy, and celebrating diversity, we can pave the way for a future where everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, can find comfort, acceptance, and love. Sometimes feeling heard and accepted is all a person needs to get on the right path. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Impact of Divorce, Remarriage, and Aging on Families #12

Same-Sex Parenting Success #3

Stress: Good & Bad #9